As a health coach, teaching my clients to replace refined/processed foods with whole/natural foods has not only rejuvenated them, helping them to reach their optimum best and achieve their life goals, but it’s also taught them that making the smallest changes to their diets is what’s made the biggest difference.
I have put together some tips to help you make that change.
Small Change #1 Fuel your body, food is fuel
- Eat breakfast
- Eat lunch
- Eat every three to five hours
- Eat dinner
- Get at least seven hourrs of sleep
Small Change #2 Brighten your plate naturally
- Eat one serving of fruit for breakfast
- Add veggies/fruit to lunch
- Start dinner with a salad
- Add a veggie to dinner
- Snack on one piece of fruit a day
Small Change #3 Think before you drink
- Drink at least eight cups of water a day
- Sip on waters with gas or club soda in place of regular soda (add a splash of lemon/cranberry/bitters)
- Switch skim or low-fat milk to whole milk; add water to it or switch to almond milk/rice milk
- Choose 100% fruit juice drinks (no more than 8oz/day)
- Ditch “fancy” coffee drinks
- One glass of wine or beer or cocktail per day
*Note: If at a party, for every other drink or every two drinks, drink a glass of water/club soda/coconut water
Small Change #4 Give your carbs a makeover
- Reduce your serving size
- Increase fibre at breakfast
- Brown your bread
- Fix your pasta (mix with whole wheat/gluten free)
- Redo your rice (mix with veggies/brown rice/quinoa)
- Slim your potatoes
Small Change #5 Go easy on the ‘extras’ and make savoury swaps for old stanbys
- Ask for dressing sauces/gravy on the side
- Slim your sauces
- De-fat your spreads and toppings
- Use extra veggies as an extra
Small Change #6 Skinny your meat
- Limit red meat to two servings per week
- Eat fish twice a week minimum
- Always remove skin from chicken and turkey
- Never fry and be sure to trim visible fat
- Aim for one meatless meal a week, example Meatless Monday!
Small Change #7 Fat the right kinds and amounts of fat
- Limit fat intake to 25% of calories
- Upgrade oils
- Limit full-fat cheese to once per day.
- Terminate trans fat
Small Change #8 Tame your sweet tooth and saltshaker
- Prepare for midday cravings
- Short circuit nightime cravings
- Halt cravings in their tracks
- If you overindulge, get back on track right away!
Small Change #9 Share food and good times with advance planning and without the guilt
- Dine out don’t pig out
- Celebrate the event, not the food
- Treat the holidays as one day, not one month.
- Take a vacation from work, not from eating smart!
Small Change #10 Get moving
- Make exercise time playtime
- Start slowly, and be active five days a week
- Step it up!
- Find your exercise motivation!
Success does not happen overnight. It’s when every day, you get a little better. Then it all adds up!