If you are one of our Caribbean readers, then you have no excuse for not drinking a glass of warm lime water at least a couple days a week. There are limes everywhere, either on the tree in your garden or at your local fruit & veg stand, so get on the bandwagon and start drinking lime water pronto.
All you need is a glass of room temperature water and a lime. Slice the lime in half, pick out the seeds and squeeze the lime into the water. If it’s a little too acidic for your taste, then a dash of Angostura bitters or a teaspoon of honey are all you need to add.
So, it’s extremely cheap and easy to make yourself a daily glass of lime water. Still need convincing? Here are a few more reasons that will definitely convince you:
- Lime water improves your digestive system and can ease the symptoms of heartburn, gas, bloating and indigestion. By helping the digestive process, your body can then absorb more nutrients from your food, making you healthier all around!
- Lime water helps naturally flush the toxins from your system by purifying and stimulating the liver.
- Limes are packed with vitamin C, so lime water will not only boost your immune system, but it will also act as an antioxidant which fights free radicals in your body. Vitamin C also prevents cholesterol levels from increasing, so lime water may also help to manage your cholesterol.
- A glass of warm lime water a day will keep your body loaded up on antioxidants which prevent free radicals from ageing and damaging your skin, keeping you looking younger longer. The high vitamin C content also helps prevent and heal blemishes, so that your skin will be bright and clear.
- The high potassium content in limes means that regularly drinking lime water can help keep your blood pressure under control and prevent hypertension. Having a higher potassium intake has also been linked to improving your nervous system and heart health. The magnesium in limes also contributes to better heart health.
- By accelerating the formation of urinary citrate in the body, drinking lime water can help prevent calcium build-up in the urinary tract and keeps the bladder free of toxins. This means less chance of kidney stones and abnormal growth of the prostate.
- Lime’s flavonoids make it a natural antibiotic and antiseptic, so it may help prevent lots of minor infections and is also good for maintaining good oral health in particular.
- Regularly drinking lime water adds extra shine to your hair and helps reduce and prevent dandruff.
- The alkalising effect of lime water on the body when drank just before any meal will help your body maintain a healthier, higher pH, making your body better able to resist disease and infection.
With so many benefits to be gained by something that’s so simple to do, why not do your body a favour and make drinking warm lime water a part of your daily routine? We’re sure you’ll be amazed at everything it’ll do for you – drink up!